Thursday, September 20, 2012

My brother-in-law found out he has stage 2 prostate cancer can you help me with this

My brother-in-law found out he has stage 2 prostate cancer can you help me with this?
They do not know if it has spread yet to other organs. that makes all the difference in the world to his treatment and to his prognosis. If they had taken 16 samples in the biopsy and 5 came out positive wouldnt that be a sign that it has not spread?
Cancer - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :

1 :
Well, it depends on where those biopsies were taken from. Were they lymph node biopsies? If they were lymph node biopsies than this doesn't mean its spread necessarily, or if it has spread it doesn't mean it has reached other organs. My cervical cancer had spread into lymph nodes and the cancer had traveled through my lymph nodes up to the lymph nodes in my para-aortic trunk, that is just above the belly button. 20% of people with para-aortic lymph node involvement (when metastases starts in an area in the pelvis) have cancer spread to other organs or bones. I am very lucky that this was not the case because once its into the bone your survival goes down to nothing. Once it spreads to other organs your chances go down dramatically also. I know that this is really stressful for your brother in law and your family I'm sure, but it's part of the cancer staging process. It all takes so much time when you're talking life and death. I don't think docs realize that they're finding out info which means a persons life is in their hands and their future. I am really frustrated that I have a PET scan on Mar 9 even though I could have it right now but they didn't have any open appointments, then once I get the scan Mar 9, I have to wait 10 days before my doc is available to go over the results with me. The PET scan results will tell me if the suspicious area on my last PET scan looks that way still, and if it does that means that I will need to go into the OR for biopsies and if it comes back as cancer I will need a big surgery (not sure which yet but probably radical hysterectomy) to get rid of the residual cancer. They talk to me about it like they're telling me I have the flu or something. Its like they become desensitized to the fact that this is my life in their hands. I am only 28 as of a couple weeks ago and I do not want to have a hysterectomy, it sounds very traumatizing mentally and physically especially since I just had months of chemo and radiation. Anyways I know its tough and I completely understand how you are all feeling, I went through the same situation in the beginning. I had to wait 5 weeks from the time I found out I had cancer to get an appt with the oncologist who told me what stage it was and what the treatment plan was. I think I had a nervous breakdown during that time, my mind shut down and a lot of that time is a big blur. I guess mentally my body just couldn't handle that news and traumatizing wait. You just have to think positive. Also my great medicaid social worker told me something that always helps me when I get upset... "When you worry and stress you release bad hormones into your body that help the cancer to grow." Ever since that statement, I try my hardest to block out my worry and stress because I don't want to help cancer grow. If I can't control my worry, I take a .50 mg. xanax to calm my nerves a little. Best wishes and I hope he will be OK. You have to have hope no matter what the results.
2 :
That is a question for the doctor. I do know that all my biopsy results were positive but the cancer had not spread. I was treated with radiation and chemo and as of two days ago I am still cancer free. It has now been over ten years since I had the treatment. E-mail me if you want to talk more.
3 :
Visit :http://www.cancer-n-cure.blogspot.com If you want to study cancer





 Read more discussions :