Friday, September 16, 2011

My dad has prostate cancer for 5 yrs, and the doctor ran tests and stated his PSA level is .08 should i be

My dad has prostate cancer for 5 yrs, and the doctor ran tests and stated his PSA level is .08 should i be?
Worried? The Dr. Said the medicine he has been taking is the best for him,but, it appears his body has gotten ammune to it and its not doing what it should anymore.
Cancer - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
.08 is low. What medicine is he taking? edit. Went through radiation, still recovering...well I hope things get better than what they are :)
2 :
I have never heard of a PSA as low as .08. It's usually given in whole numbers. Prostate cancer is not treatable with medication or chemo. Radiation or removal are the only two options. I had it, so I know. I opted for removal. Maybe your dad just has an enlarged prostate. It's called displasia.That can cause problems and it is treatable with medication. Maybe your dad does have cancer and decided not to do anything about it except to take medication that is keeping his PSA at an incredibly low level. At any rate if he does nothing to cure the cancer his life expectancy is another 5 to 10 years. I wish both of you the best.
3 :
Good answers above. One minor addition to Jughead's comments - the important quality of a PSA number is not so much the number, but its change over time. If the number stays the same over a long time, that's good. If the number increases over several tests, then its time for concern - its referred to as the PSA acceleration. My number went from a 2.0 to a 2.9, which triggered the need for a biopsy, then surgery. 2 years now - PSA is 0 and holding steady.



  Read more discussions :