Friday, July 16, 2010

How to decide, surgery versus radiation for prostate cancer, which has least side effects

How to decide, surgery versus radiation for prostate cancer, which has least side effects?
PSA 6.25 and cancer rated 7
Cancer - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
My dad had surgery back 8 years ago and so far no recurrence. I think someone he knew had the radiation and his came back. My dad also had some kind of hormone treatment, a little capsule placed under the skin a couple of month before surgery to shrink the prostate so it was easier for the surgeon to remove it all. His was caught early so that made a difference too. I hope you do well with what ever you decide.
2 :
i would go with sugery, when my grandma had radiation all it did was stop the growth and make her tired and miserable good luck!
3 :
The decision to treat Prostate Cancer with Surgery or with Radiation Treaments is an individual choice. The decision should be made after a consultation with your Dr. and perhaps a second and even third opinion from another Urologist and a Radiologist. Each treatment option for Prostate Cancer carries risks of complications from the treatment and potential side-effects, the most common being incontinence and impotence. The degree of risk varies by treatment and the skill of the surgeon or radiologist. Your Dr. should take the time to explain all the risks, side-effects, and benefits of each treatment option. You mentioned that your psa is 6.25 and your cancer is rated 7. Do you mean you have a gleason score of 7? if so, it is important to know if it is 3+4=7 or 4+3=7. There is a difference. the lower number in front means the cancer is less aggressive and therefore easier to treat. I was diagnosed in July. My PSA was 7.0 and my gleason score was 3+4=7. After researching all options I decided on robotic laparoscopic radical prostatectomy, which is a relatively new surgical procedure. I chose this treatment over the conventional surgery because there is less trauma to the body, there is less bleeding, and less risk of infection. Recovery time and discomfort (pain) is significantly less than the traditional prostatectomy. Also in the hands of a highly skilled surgeon (someone who has done hundreds of these) there is a better chance of reducing side-effects. Whatever you decide to do, make an informed choice. There are many treatment options available for Prostate Cancer, go with what feels good to you, don't let doctors or other people pressure you into doing what they think is best. Here are a few resources that may be of help to you in your research, I found them very helpful.
4 :
Your Age, How fast the PSA got to 6.25 and other factors are involved. My PSA went from 1.5 to 4.5 in 6 months. Biops showed a Gleason of 4+4=8. I opted for surgery only because if they get it all quick it can't come back. Any other treatment is just that, treatment not removal. My PSA at 6 weeks PostOp was 0. Doctor said it has to stay 0 for 4 years to be considered cancer free. Side effects are different for each man. My surgery was in July 07 and last week I bowled a 283 game with a 707 set. Working full time, and only side effect is wondering what next? You can read a lot here: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ProstateCancerSupport/
5 :
I am sorry you are going through such a scary experience. I think SURGERY definitely. Surgery can REMOVE it where radiation most likely only shrinks it or attempts to stop the growth. If it is operable, you should consider it strongly. Best of Luck to you, you will be in my prayers tonight.




 Read more discussions :