Saturday, November 24, 2012

My Grandpa had prostate cancer,but I am a girl.Does that still mean I have a higher risk of getting cancer

My Grandpa had prostate cancer,but I am a girl.Does that still mean I have a higher risk of getting cancer?
Please answer soon,I keep getting worried wondering if I might actually get cancer....
Cancer - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Shouldn't think so. My father died from prostate cancer over 30years ago and , as far as I know, I have no symptoms of the disease. (Am female)
2 :
From the information you've given, you're at no increased risk of cancer. Cancer is rarely hereditary; hereditary cancer accounts for fewer than 10% of all cancer cases. You see, you don't inherit a general tendency to get cancer, and there isn't a general 'cancer gene'. A sign that cancer MAY be hereditary within a family due to a rare faulty gene is when several members of the same side of a family have had the same type of cancer - ie they have all had breast cancer, or all had colon cancer - especially if some developed it at a younger than usual age. An isolated case of cancer within a family (such as you describe) is not hereditary, nor is two or more family members having had different types of cancer. You also don't say how old your grandpa was at diagnosis; cancer diagnosed after the age of 50 is rarely hereditary. With at least one in three people developing cancer it isn't unusual for two, three or more members of the same family to have had non-hereditary cancers.
3 :
Cancer is caused when normal cells get replicated wrong during the normal body growth process. But normally the immune system will find those bad cells and take them out. If too many of them occur because of exposure to toxins or if your immune system is too weak the bad cells begin growing unchecked and that is what becomes cancer. The fact that someone in your family had cancer means their immune system didn't deal with it. If you eat a decent diet and keep your immune system strong you have a much smaller chance at cancer getting to you.
4 :
It's ok. Please don't worry. You do not have an increased risk because of your Grandpa. I'm sorry about your Grandpa.




 Read more discussions :