Monday, August 4, 2008

Why is it so easy to forget prostate cancer awareness month, but not breast cancer awareness month

Why is it so easy to forget prostate cancer awareness month, but not breast cancer awareness month?
When is prostate cancer awareness month? What did you do? (did you donate, wear a ribbon, etc). What are you doing in recognition of breast cancer awareness month?
Gender Studies - 11 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Well, for me, it is because my grandmother and my mother died of breast cancer. I can't speak for anyone else, and I will not try to. EDIT: I knew coming in here that people can be very insensitive, but I had no idea that I would get thumbs down for my grandma and my mom dying of cancer. Excuse me.
2 :
The whole thing is political my friend. If there isn't enough money to push it through the political gauntlet, it's just not going to happen. One of the main reasons that breast cancer awareness is so successful is because it attracts a lot of rich donors. Celebrities get involved in walks/runs for its awareness. It's much like a business and it requires lots of publicity. Prostate cancer is in its political infancy in comparison to breast cancer. It needs money, publicity and celebrity support.
3 :
Sorry, I forgot about both.
4 :
Uh, it's hard to tell which next illness the pharmaceutical industry and its nonprofit affiliates plans to commercialize. The "breast-cancer awareness" campaigns and "buy these things with the pink ribbon" are idiotic. Eighty percent of the money goes to some dum.b.a.ss company, and the tiny bit left goes to research. If you're going to donate, donate it ALL to the nonprofit. Don't buy some crap you don't need that was made in some sweatshop in China. _________ P.S. I'm not certain, but I believe that statistically more women die from breast cancer than men from prostate cancer. I might be wrong. Women are also generally paid less for their work and pay MORE for insurance policies. There are health-care disparities. I'm wondering why there isn't some bigger campaign about the FDA recently approving the HPV vaccine for men. Perhaps - total, total guess - it's because men feel they're not responsible for reproductive health, even though they basically carry HPV and spread it around and it's never caught because men aren't routinely tested for HPV like women are through the PAP smear. __________ P.P.S. I was right, though, about deaths from the diagnoses. prostate cancer deaths: 27,400 breast cancer deaths: 40,000 Via Google.
5 :
both cancers are complete BS, why are we focusing on these two? skin cancer is the most common type of cancer in the world, and brain cancer is the most lethal. so why don't we concentrate our money on those two?
6 :
There you remembered it already. Happy! Next
7 :
They are both high in importance, where did you get this statement from?
8 :
Because media and industry realizes that women are far more communal and ignorant with their money than are men, and are thus greater marketing targets. - If you think either cause truly has much to do with 'saving lives' or 'helping people' then you are mistaken. As with most ventures, this is largely about making money.
9 :
My grandmother and two of my aunts died of breast cancer. Any bias on my part is partially in memoriam and partially out of fear that I'll have it myself one day.
10 :
Well, I agree with you. Men are forgettable human beings while women are the "more important" gender..
11 :
This is a good question. Both are equally important and equally deadly. I am remembering breast cancer everyday because my grandmother passed away from it about 25 years ago.




Read more discussion :