Friday, August 8, 2008

What age should I get tested to see if I have prostate cancer

What age should I get tested to see if I have prostate cancer?
Should I wait till I'm 30, or 40 or 50?? If I have prostate cancer will they be able to treat it?? Will I have a high chance of surviving?
Cancer - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Probably 50 years old, unless you are having symptoms of urinary tract problems. The sooner it gets treated, the greater the chance for survival.
2 :
As far as I'm aware there is no routine screening for prostate cancer. Prostate cancer is so rare in young men that there are no statistics available for the disease incidence in men under 35. It's extremely rare in men under 50; over 80% of men diagnosed with it are over 65 and half of all cases occur in men over 75. So as you're not yet 30 - not a lot to worry about
3 :
45
4 :
Some doctors think men age 50 and older should have yearly PSA tests; others do not. We know that this test can help detect cancer before it causes symptoms, but we aren’t sure that PSA tests save lives. The PSA test can find small cancers that may not grow or spread. Not all prostate cancers are life-threatening, and treatments can cause side effects. That’s why doctors sometimes prefer “watchful waiting� until there are signs that treatment is needed. Researchers are studying ways to improve the PSA test so that it detects only cancers that need treatment. Medicare will pay for a PSA test every year for men age 50 and older.




Read more discussion :