Monday, December 12, 2011

Since been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, WHo has been treated either with complete removal or RadiationThera

Since been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, WHo has been treated either with complete removal or RadiationThera?
There is Brachy Therapy of two types permanent and HDR High Dose Rate which is done in two sessions and is not permanent.
Cancer - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I was diagnosed in June 2008 with prostate cancer. I had a biopsy and they found some cancer cells. I had a gleason score of 3+ 3. In November I had brachy therapy, ( radioactive seed implants ). I am feeling fine. Only minor discomfort after the procedure. I was back at work in 48 hours. I think brachy therapy is the way to go if your cancer is not too advanced. http://www.prostatecancerfoundation.org/
2 :
I had the radical surgery in December 2007. After removing the Prostate and glands I still had the cancer. Now I'm on hormones and will have my third injection next month. For now the cancer is under control but hormones is normally a temporary fix. I have no other options since the cancer has spread. So far so good but no one knows what the future holds for me. I live my life the best I can and try not to think about it. Try to get that off your mind,
3 :
I was diagnosed with bi-lateral prostate cancer with surrounding tissue involvement. I opted for the seed implants followed by external beam radiation. This was 4 years ago and while there has been no sign of the cancer since, the side effects have been - no other word for it - hell. My brother had the same course of therapy with zero ill effects so I am not the rule, I am most likely the exception but I don't know if I would elect the same option if asked today. I have been hospitalized 4 times since the radiation, twice nearly dying and spending at least a week in ICU each time. I am totally incontinent, have gained over 70 pounds right after the radiation (edema), developed DVT, severe neuropathy in both legs/feet and type 1 diabetes. I have what has turned out to be a permanent supra-pubic catheter with collection bag. The weight gain exacerbated my existing arthritis to the point I am in a wheel chair. When diagnosed, I was sixty, in reasonably good health, using my boat frequently and basically doing anything normal for a relatively fit 60 year old. Again, I am NOT claiming to be the rule. I DO believe I am an extraordinary exception to the rule. Everything about the side effects stink, BUT I am still - a Cancer Survivor!




 Read more discussions :