Sunday, February 20, 2011

My husband has been receiving shots of Lupron every 4-6 weeks for prostate cancer. What is the purpose

My husband has been receiving shots of Lupron every 4-6 weeks for prostate cancer. What is the purpose?
Lupron supposedly reduces his male hormones and will be going through radiation for 4-6 weeks daily.
Cancer - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It is for anemia which can occur with radiation.
2 :
When I was on chemo I got Lupron injected into my thigh muscle and the purpose of it was to stop my periods... I have no idea why a man would need it.
3 :
Male hormones stimulate growth of prostate cancer. In this way Lupron inhibits growth of the cancer.
4 :
prostate cancer needs testrone to grow it is suppressing him male hormones good luck with his treatment
5 :
I had prostate cancer in 2005. I was given one lupron shot before I had proton radiation. Lupron is not a cure for prostate cancer. It basically puts the disease on hold. It stops the progress or spread of the cancer for a while. It will only work for a while. The maximum time it will work for is about ten years, however that depends on the stage of the prostate cancer; It can work for only a year or so at times. I had proton radiation for my prostate cancer and am fine now. I am totally convinced that proton radiation is the very best treatment there is for prostate cancer. Depending on the circumstances, it usually has a 90% cure rate and no side effects. I had my treatments at Loma Linda University Medical center in Loma Linda California. If you would like to know more about proton radiation, there is a website called Proton Bob that has much info about prostate cancer and proton radiation. If you go to the website be sure and read the Patient testimonial section from former Proton radiation patients... or if you have questions, please feel free to email me here at yahoo answers. Have a good day.also Also i will add that Proton Radiation is very different from conventioal radiation. With Proton radiation, approximately 85% of the treatment energy is realeased exactly at the point of the tumor therefore very little surrounding body organs or tissue is damanged as it is with conventional radiation.. therefore you have little or no side effects. Conventional radiation is like a shot gun and proton radiation is like a rifle.... is the best way I can describe it.. the treatment energy is controlled much better with Proton radiation.. be sure and read the Proton Bob website....I was not sick or even felt bad one single day during or after my proton radiation treatments. My PSA is now .07... I have no side effects... its like i was never sick...One thing I might mention about the Lupron, it will cause your husband to have hot flashes and it took me about six months after the shot to get over the hot flashes... I think thats true with most people who have lupron shots.. the six months of hot flashes that is.



 Read more discussions :