Monday, February 8, 2010

Does my father's prostate cancer increase my risk of developing cancer

Does my father's prostate cancer increase my risk of developing cancer?
My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I am a female, but does his prostate cancer increase my risk of developing any type of cancer?
Cancer - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
While it is hard to determine if you will develop any type of cancer, I'd say there is no real correlation between your father's prostate and your potential to get some type of cancer. It is said that if a man was healthy all his life and nothing else was wrong, he would most probably die of prostate cancer. That is, if left untreated. Study on this topic and don't get freaked out. There are a lot of dynamics at work here and comparing men's health to women's health (in certain areas) isn't quite the same. In short I think no.
2 :
It does raise it but not above the level most of us have, I think everyone on here has had a family member with cancer at some point.
3 :
There are 2 genes, BRCA1 and BRCA2 that if you have the mutation, you can be more suseptable to Breast, Cervial and Prostate cancer. I know the test is available to women with breast cancer so see if they carry the gene, but I don't know if it's available to men. Does anyone else on your fathers side of the family have cancer, particularly breast cancer? they may have had genetic testing which may help you. but remember, just because there may be a mutation does not mean you will get cancer. but, everyone should have annual physicals and women should do breast self exams, have mammos (if you're of age, or younger if there is a fmily history and have an annual pap and exam. good luck to you and your father.




 Read more discussions :