Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Prostate Cancer- What should a daughter do

Prostate Cancer- What should a daughter do?
My dad has just been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. We are still unsure of which stage he is in right now as a bone scan has just been done yesterday. I have been accompanying him for medical checkups but would like to know what else I can do to help him through this difficult time as my mum is no longer with us. How can I help him overcome his fears and to let him know that I am here for him through this?
Cancer - 7 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I know how you feel I live with my grandmother who has cancer and when we found out it was like the floor falling out from under us all. Unfortunately there isn't a lot us outsiders can do. Just be there for him and let him know your ear is open anytime he needs. Going with him to appts will really help because you might hear something he misses or vice versa. I would suggest you try to get him to join a support group (my grandma refuses) it would let him talk to people who are going to the same thing as him which is something we just can't understand as much as we wish we could. Let him know you'll do anything and everything he needs you too but be careful not to smother him or treat him like an invalid unless he truly becomes one he needs to know he can still take care of himself too. Good luck to you and your father and I hope he has a good fight.
2 :
Make sure for a start that you do not blame him for the cancer. Be assuring and positive thinking.
3 :
First relax. Prostate Cancer is very curable, especially if it was found early. Did he have any symptoms, or was it found because he had a rising PSA? I am 62, and was diagnosed with PC last year. I was treated with the radioactive seed implants. It is called Brachy Therapy and I am doing fine now. Good luck, he will be fine.
4 :
I am truly sorry for your father and you, I been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis when I was with 32 yrs. old, , I'm waking with a lot of difficulties and I use a cane, I know on my heart how your father is feeling and you too, it is to hard to deal with cancer and any other illnesses, when you are sick and you cannot be the person that you were before, comes a lot of depression, take care of him, don't let him get into a depression but what I can say to you is that you are doing right, accompany your father into the doctor visits, and, called for his doctor and talk with him about his health and ask what can you do to help your father go through that, what are his chances to fight against cancer, I KNOW IS HARD, BUT DON'T GIVE UP, HE JUST CAN COUNT WITH YOU ! I wish the best for him !!
5 :
http://www.prostate-cancer.org.uk/ a good site with a message board were you can get support from other daughters and relatives
6 :
some types of this cancer are very slow growing and therefore do not have to be treated because old age will get to him first.
7 :
Prostate cancer forms in the tissues of the prostate. Except for skin cancer, cancer of the prostate is the most common cancer in American men. It was estimated that more than 186,000 men in the United States would be diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2008 . In most men with prostate cancer, the disease grows very slowly. The majority of men with low-grade, early prostate cancer (which means that cancer cells have been found only in the prostate gland) live a long time after their diagnosis. Even without treatment, many of these men will not die of prostate cancer, but rather will live with it until they eventually die of some other, unrelated cause.



 Read more discussions :