Tuesday, May 4, 2010

How many women will be wearing prostate cancer ribbons for Father's Day

How many women will be wearing prostate cancer ribbons for Father's Day?
On Mother's Day, many men wore pink ribbons to support the fight and research against breast cancer. Many men marched in breast cancer research funding walks and parades. In fact, the Major League Baseball players (all men) used pink bats and wore pink armbands in the games on Mother's Day to support this very same cause. Now, how many women will be wearing prostate cancer ribbons for Father's Day? Let me take an educated guess based on previous patterns, and say: "nowhere near as many men that wore breast cancer awareness ribbons." Further evidence that women today are far more sexist than men. Let me also state that there is roughly the same amount of reported cases of prostate cancer per year as there is breast cancer cases (slightly over 200,000 for each) --
the number difference between the two diseases only being a few thousand. Prostate Cancer Ribbon Pin: http://www.phoenix5.org/advocacy/prostateribbon.html ♀M☼♪δ♥: I agree with what you said. I don't think "all women are bad". But I applaud you in having the courage to support this cause. You deserve the utmost respect. We need to spread the awareness around of both breast and prostate cancer.
Gender Studies - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Is the prostrate cancer ribbon available in Australia? If it is, I'll definitely wear one to show support. Btw, thanks for bringing this important issue out in the open :) Lastly, not all women are bad, just like not all men are bad, have a little hope and faith in the women that are trying to see it from a man's point of view. Edit; That's great, I was worried there for a moment that you thought all women were sexist. But yes, prostrate cancer affects so many men, and even here in Australia, it's all about breast cancer in women and showing our support. Men need this support too. To the poster below, if women were given the chance and the support day was more widely available, then I'm sure more women would support this worthwhile cause, and I raise my hand first and btw I also talk with my husband about the importance of being on the look out for any changes and we chat about prostrate cancer, as I feel as though he doesn't know too much about it, and because I care for my hubby, I bring up the subject.
2 :
Well, I think you guessed wrong. I'm not sure even one woman will be doing that. I haven't heard of or seen any as far as I can remember. That's what I've been saying, how come men run like little wimps for womens' causes and women don't do the same for men? Of course women are worse sexists than men. They know that too. I'm really sick and tired of hearing about breast cancer the whole time like there are no other diseases out there. The thing is it's not even the leading cause of death in women. There are a hundred types of cancers and no body mentions those. It's only breast cancer.... I hope they find cures for all cancers but I'm just really sick of hearing and seeing the same thing on tv, radio, papers and even on signs on the streets over and over and over again. And I hope to see more women doing the "march for prostate cancer".
3 :
Well, I think the biggest reason you won't see thousands of women wearing prostate cancer ribbons is because of marketing. Ribbons for awareness is a fabulous marketing tool, but it takes time to establish a "new" cause. This question is the FIRST I have seen or heard about the ribbons, and I am a health advocate. I've known about prostate cancer for years, and encouraged the men in my family to be screened. But when did these ribbons come out? Why haven't I seen them in every retail outlet in my town? It takes time to raise awareness. So let's have realistic expectations, ok? When the prostate cancer ribbon has been in circulation for 5 years, then you can compare numbers. This is not an example of sexism, it is simply a matter of needing more time and more labor (and presumably, more money) to get the word out.
4 :
I don't wear ribbons, but I'm glad they started this new movement. It keeps everyone happy.
5 :
You may be right. Every group that has felt oppressed usually overcompensates later on. I think some women or feminist groups overdo it and become sexists just like some Blacks are racists in the name of racial equality. I think with time this will adjust itself.
6 :
I already had one. My father passed three years ago to prostate cancer.




Read more discussuions :