Sunday, March 1, 2009

Prostate Cancer

Prostate Cancer!!!?
I want men to vote which of the following procedures do most men prefer for their prostate cancer solution. Which of the following do most men prefer: Prostatectomy (prostate removal) Robotic Prostatectomy. Laser surgery( I think) Radiation Surgery. Choose Please
Cancer - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I chose Robotic Prostatectomy and had the surgery in October. This choice was made after a lot of research, second opinions, and soul searching. The choices for treatment and the resulting side-effects are almost as bad as the disease. The problem with prostate cancer is that there are too many variables to choose one "best" choice. My choice was good for me, but others may not wish to do what I have done. Careful research, a second opinion, a consultation with a Doctor; a Urologist, Medical Oncologist, or Radiation Oncologist can be the most useful tool in deciding what is best for you. A random survey will only lead you to become more confused about treatment options.
2 :
Akhil, lasers are not used in prostate cancer surgery, although they are used in surgery for benign prostate hyperplasia. Perhaps you meant laparoscopic radical prostatectomy, which is in common use these days. The "robotic" surgery you refer to is a form of laparoscopic prostate cancer surgery in which a surgeon uses a remote controlled "robot" to do the operation.
3 :
Hi Akhil, This is a complicated decision to make, even without the additional stress of a cancer diagnosis hanging over your head. The reason there are so many options is that the circumstances of each case can be different. When I started to make my decision, I put things into two categories: surgical and non-surgical. Non-surgical has the advantage of being less tear-up on the body, and in my opinion is meant for men who are older, or whose cancer has advanced to where it is no longer confined to the prostate. The disadvantage, especially in men with early stage cancer, is that it can't be known precisely how far the cancer has spread since the prostate itself cannot be examined. This is to me the main advantage of surgery. The prostate is removed, ideally with all the cells that can be cancerous. The prostate can be examined to verify that it has been removed completely. A big question of course is side effects: impotence and incontinence. This is a risk in any procedure. I haven't found much difference in this between the surgical and non-surgical procedures. Among the surgical, there are three choices: "classic" open, laparoscopic, and robotically assisted laparoscopic. The choice between these procedures is not nearly as important as the choice of the person using the procedures. Dr. Walsh (whose book I reference below) recommends someone who does at least 100 of these procedures a year and keeps track of what happens of their patients. I didn't read as closely on the non-surgical methods, since I chose surgery, but I'm sure similar criteria apply for someone performing a non-surgical method. But do the research, take your time. Find people who have had this done. With me it was like they came out of the woodwork as soon as I let it be known I have cancer. Assuming this has been caught early, you do have time. This is a slow-growing cancer, so find a health provider and a procedure your are comfortable with. Please don't rely on the hype from machine manufacturers about robotic. That may be the way of the future, but people still have to learn how to use it. Mistakes can happen with any of the three methods. You or someone dear to you may not want to be among the trial cases. Hope this helps. -Will




 Read more discussions :