Monday, January 28, 2008

What is the best surgical procedure to treat prostate cancer

What is the best surgical procedure to treat prostate cancer?
I am from Philippines, my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer. The doctor's advice is to do surgical procedure wherein they have to remove the testicles/scrotum of my dad.
Isn't he suppose to remove the prostate instead of removing the testicles/scrotum? Once the testicles are removed, what are the chances of survival if his prostate wont be removed?
Cancer - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
the removal of the prostate is a prostatectomy, i've never heard of the other. most have the prostatectomy with a radioactive seed implant for radiation.
2 :
prostate cancer is hormone fired. (it relies on the male hormone to grow and spread), by removing the testicles they remove the hormones. This operation is often performed on quite elderly patients and can be a simpler proceedure than removing the prostate itself.
3 :
The testes are best removed as they generate hormones that feed the prostate.
4 :
I have had prostate cancer and had what is called Proton Radiation. In my opinion it is the very best Prostate Cancer treatment there is available today.. It has a 90% cure rate and no side effects most of the time.. Your father would need to come to the USA for treatments most likely.... if that is possible and you would like to know more ..please feel free to email me... Also if you would like to find out more, you can go to a website called Proton Bob... Bob stands for Brotherhood of the Balloon... any way you might look at the Proton Bob website..and if you do, be sure and read the testimonials of former Proton Radiation patients... I dont think it is available in the Philippines.. however Im not 100% sure. ' There is also a new book out called YOU CAN BEAT PROSTATE CANCER. It was written by Robert J. Marckini, a prostate cancer survivor who had proton radiation.. His book does the best job I have ever seen of describing prostate cancer and all of the treatments available today... He has all the pros and cons of all of the various treatments... Any one having prostate cancer should read it.. figure you could get it on ebay dont know. Also, I have met 100s of Prostate Cancer patients...and I have never ...ever heard of any one having their testicals removed...sounds wrong to me.!!!I I understand what the other folks are saying..but unless he has cancer in his testicals.. I know of no reason they should be removed!!!!!!! I sure wouldnt let them do it until I found out more.. second opinion etc...Ohhhhh by the way the physician who treated me with the Proton Radiation in Loma Linda University Medical Center in Loma Linda University was from the Philippines and is one of the nicest people I have ever known.. I live in Texas and he has called me from California to see how Im doing and my treatments were 4 years ago!!! To answer your question about your dads survival chances.. it depends on what his PSA and Gleason scores are.. but it mainly depends on who treats him and the kind of treatments he receives.. most usually with good treatments, his chances would be very good.. would probably never die from prostate cancer.. but he needs the proper treatments and a good doctor